N.K. Falsifies Remains of Abducted Japanese National
DNA tests have revealed that the alleged remains of a Japanese national kidnapped by North Korea decades ago that were repatriated under a recent bilateral agreement in Pyongyang are in fact the mixed ashes of several other corpses, fuelling calls for further sanctions against the Hermit Kingdom and a suspension of food aid.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Hosoda Hiroyuki said Wednesday afternoon that DNA tests on what North Korea claimed were Yokota Megumi’s remains revealed them to be a mixture of several other people. North Korea has admitted to kidnapping Yokota in 1977 and claimed she hung herself.
Secretary Hosoda expressed regret over the test results and criticized North Korea by saying that the Communist state’s investigations into abducted Japanese nationals had been falsified.
Yokota vanished in Niigata on Nov. 15, 1977, at the age of 13, prompting Japanese media and investigating authorities to suspect that she had been abducted by North Korea.
The Northern leadership later confessed, explaining that Yokota had married in 1986 and given birth to a daughter named Kim Hye-kyung. She was hospitalized for depression and allegedly hung herself after telling friends she would take a stroll on Mar. 13, 1993. North Korea said that her husband, Kim Cheol-jun, cremated Yokota two and a half years after she committed suicide.
Yokota’s parents were enraged about the test results and demanded Japan impose economic sanctions against North Korea.
The DPRK must be destroyed. They are not humans. They are monsters in human form.
It’s trivial in comparison, but the DPRK is also “modernizing” North Korean property laws
Changes in North Korea’s Criminal Law to Protect Private Property
North Korea made significant revisions in both its criminal and civil rights law back in April to apparently reflect the changes it expects to see in the future. The latest revisions in North Korea’s criminal law are the first in five years. Among the notable changes are those related to strengthening regulations to protect private property.
Under the new guidelines, an individual found guilty of illegally seizing another’s possession will be sentenced to more than 10 years of hard labor from the current less than 10-year period