A knock came from the other side of the door as we prepaed to go to sleep.
I opened the door, and a fast-talking, short, fat, Russian woman was on the other side. “HelloIamyournewneighborIjustmovedinafewweeksagoandIhaveseenyouaround” she began.
A short conversation rapidly established the following
- She had a young baby who needed prescription medicine
- She had a restraining order against husband
- She had a steady job as a technician
- She believed in/had been taught about/ and loved Jesus.
- She needed cash. $40, if at all possible. She could pay us back on Wednesdayã€‚
“Do you live in our building?” I asked.
“Notheonenextdoordownthestreet” she responded.
“Who manages your building?” I asked.
“IdontknowmygroupofRussiansfoundthisapartmentforme” she answered.
I was in a generous mood, so I agreed. “Just bring me a photo ID like a driver’s license, and show me where you live” I said, and I would write her a check. “Okayokaythankyou” said the short, fat, Russian woman. “Iwillcomerightbackwiththerentralagreement.”
She never did. I regretted not getting a picture.
“My punishment is more than I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”
Cain (Genesis 4:13-14)
The the nature of the networks that hold together a 5th Generation military is predetermined by that network’s need for secrecy and need for serial development. We know
- A 5GW army will be unable to recruit to any sizable degree
- A 5GW will be very unable to recruit during operations (development), because that is when the danger is the greatest
- A 5GW will rely on strategic corporals or sheiks, who are super-empowered.
- A 5GW will rely on “sleeper cells” who must not give up, get bored, or switched sides.
From this we know every 5G warrior will be valuable to the 5G militia. Likewise, to succeed every 5G warrior must value the 5G project.
In other words, a fifth generation war is a lot like a struggling software project at a cash-strapped corporation. It needs to keep its head down, or it will be found-out and terminated. The solution is to have a collection of cross-specialist high-quality workers who know each other and make every worker a stakeholder — that is, make every worker feel that at least some important decisions were his decision. The team, is able to subvert the corporate system, diverting resources for the benefits of the project under the radar of jealous management.
The team plans, analyzes, and plans together. While there should be a “leader,” consensus management is a must. Every team member is constantly reminded, in words and deeds, how important he is. Team and project loyalty are established, and by the time jealous management learns of the project — after implementation, it is too late.
While there are no running starts in 4GW, every 5GW must be fully-operational by the time it is launched.
Dreaming 5GW, a tdaxp series
1. The Dream-Quest of Unknown 5GW
2. The Uncaring War
3. Lessons from Software Development
4. 5th Generation Networks
5. A Boydian Approach to 5GW
6. A Dream of 5GW