McArdle is referring to an emotional debate about job searches in the academic ghetto. Here are some titles of the posts:
- Naming and Shaming: UC-Riverside English Gives Candidates 5 Daysâ€™ Notice,
- Job Market Rage Redux,
- and most hilariously, How the Tenured are to the Job Market as White People are to Racism
The entire controversy boils down to three points:
- The academic ghetto pays almost everyone in it (except for pimps) really badly
- The pay is so bad that it is painfully expensive to try to find another job in the ghetto
- But at least Affirmative Action officers have a job!
As Megan McArdle notes, the solution is to get a real job. Leave the ghetto.